Applying to the VC Program
VC Application Period
- For entry in fall 2019
- April 22nd —
June 28th, 2019
Applications will be available online on Monday, April 8th, 2019
We are excited that you are interested in joining the Visual Communications program. Please take a moment to read through these pages to become familiar with the process and requirements.
Before you become a Visual Communications student at Chemeketa Community College, you must submit an application to the program. These pages are designed to help guide you through the process.
Applying to the program
- If you are not currently a student at Chemeketa, you will need to apply to the college and the VC program.
- Then meet with Financial Aid (Building 2) to see if you qualify for any assistance. If you're eligible for Work Study, let us know—we hire students to work in our labs during the school year.
- A New Student Advising Session is required for all students new to Chemeketa. This will help you prepare for your education and will connect you with your Chemeketa advisor.
- VC program Overview Sessions are offered throughout the year to give you insight into the program and the application process. If you have additional questions after attending an overview, you may make an individual appointment with the program chair to discuss your application. You will then submit a portfolio of materials to be considered for the VC program.
Prerequisites are established to be sure that you are prepared to be successful in program level classes. Success in these prerequisite classes will prepare you for the rigors of the Visual Communications program.
- MTH020 Basic MathematicsComplete, if required, before beginning program
- RD115 Academic Thinking & ReadingComplete, if required, before beginning program
- WR115 English CompositionMay be taken during the first two terms in the program
Students may apply for the program while prerequisites are being taken, but acceptance is conditional on having completed all prerequisite courses with a grade of “C” or higher prior to August 16th, 2019. Note that your financial aid status is affected by completing these prerequisites, and not having them completed may require additional time in the program. On completion of all required prerequisite courses, students will be granted full VC program status by the Program Chair.
Please note that scoring above MTH060 on the placement tests does not waive the program math requirement, but allows the student to complete a higher level of math. Students intending to transfer to a four-year school must complete MTH105 or higher for a Bachelor’s degree. Check the requirements of the college you are interested in attending. Scoring above the levels indicated on the placement tests allows the student to enroll directly in required program courses in writing, reading, and mathematics.
2019-2020 Program deadlines
Applications for entrance to the Visual Communications program in fall 2019 will be accepted beginning on April 22nd, 2019 at 8:00am PST.
The application itself will be released on Monday, April 8th, 2019 to give students time to develop and complete the required materials.
If you are interested in joining the program in the fall of 2019, please plan to attend our next Overview Session on Wednesday May 15th, 2019; 4:30–6:00 PM.
Incomplete applications will not be accepted. We usually accept approximately 30 students for the graphic design/interactive media program, and 18 for multimedia arts, with a hard cap of 48 students across all degree tracks. If slots remain after the application date we may extend the application deadline. Any deadline extensions will be posted on this web site.
If you are ready to begin the application process, follow the link below for more details on how to apply:
VC Application Process Information
For more information: Visit, call, or email
- For general program information, and questions regarding our web design and interactive options, contact Peter Hoelter, Program Chair (email@example.com or 503.399.6475)
- For information specific to graphic design, contact Wendy Riley (firstname.lastname@example.org or 503.399.6473)
- For multimedia arts, contact Bret Malley (email@example.com or 503.399.7816)
- For general information or to arrange a tour, contact Julian Harkema (firstname.lastname@example.org or 503.399.5070)